Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Breaking News: Dinosaur sighting at JCP

I love my son.  I love my son.  I love my son.

This is what I kept saying over and over in my head while we were at the mall today.  I had a chiropractor appointment this morning and told Jackson we could go play because he did so well.  After hanging out in the mall play area he decided that a trip to the train tables was needed. 

Bless you, Barnes and Noble, for your free entertainment.  He and Gage play, I read, everyone wins! 

Long story short, Jackson and I made a deal that we could run in to JC Penney and do a lightening fast run through the kids department. What. Was. I. Thinking.  About 30 seconds after getting there Jackson found one of those poles used to grab things that are out of reach.  I simply said "Sweetie, that doesn't belong to us and we need to put it away.  You could get hurt."  Y'all.  Jackson was no longer with me.  But in his place was this Jackson sized pterodactyl screaming shrill "NO"s and high pitched "I don't love you"s. Yep, we're in that phase right now.  Just as I turned the corner to leave and let him take up residency at JCP I looked up to see my sweet cousin, April, walking towards us. 

Let me add here that I am one of those people who doesn't really care what the random strangers around me think because its not like I'll see them ever again.  However, when it comes to my kids losing their cool around friends and family...I can't.    

I was instantly mortified when I saw this cute blonde in her pink scrubs.  Somehow though, as soon as April bent down to Jackson's level and started talking to him in her super sweet country voice, he calmed down.  WHAT?! I've never seen him react to someone like this.  He was instantly back to his sweet self.  I was speechless.  Embarrassed and speechless.

But why was I embarrassed?  April has four kids of her own so I know she "gets it" when it comes to tantrums, but still.  I think its because I have this idea that I need everyone to think I've got it all together.  That my kids are these sweet little angels at all times who listen and follow through when they are told to do things.  This is not the case.

Okay, so you are probably saying this right now....

"HELLO, KAYLEE!!!  You have a three and one year old!  Of course they don't always listen, they're trying to figure out this thing call "life" just as much as you are." 


I know there is no judgment from family and friends even when my babes aren't on their best behavior. At least I hope there's not... I just need to learn how to give myself some grace.  Alas, one other thing to work on.  I'm just thankful April showed up when she did and was able to diffuse the situation. It takes a village, y'all. The whole. darn. village.





No comments:

Post a Comment